United States of America
Paddle Whalon Lake, Illinois
A Great Place to Learn
Whalon Lake is a 80 acre lake located in Naperville, Illinois off of Royce Rd and is a part of a lengthy trail system that connects prime recreational locations and forest preserves with many options to enjoy the outdoors. The lake is an old quarry that was mined for sand, gravel and limestone for nearly 50 years before being purchased by the Will County Park District in the 1990s and opening in 2008 to the public once the lake was converted.
The East Branch of the Du Page river runs very close to this location and also offers an impressive trail system that connects to the lake. It’s a great paddling destination in the urban sprawl of Chicagoland being located a short drive to downtown Chicago.
- There is plenty of parking as you enter this location down the road way to the lower marsh which holds many creatures and offers some prime water fowl photographic opportunities, you can’t but appreciate the vast surroundings offered in such a populated area of the Chicago expanse.
- The lake is also a part of a very nice trail system that connects a few forest preserves that offer a wide variety of activities like kayaking, biking, blacktop trails, dog park, bird watching, fishing, etc.
- There is a two-lane concrete boat ramp located at the end of the road that has plenty of parking as well.
- It’s a really nice fishing destination with depths over 60ft in for all boat craft and is trolling motor only and is very paddle friendly.
- There is also a kayak rental options by the launch through Naperville Kayak which offers Jackson Kayak recreational and fishing kayaks like the “Jackson Kayak Bite”.
There is a car park at the south west of the lake (41.713517, -88.094652)
The launch point can be found at the car park (41.713517, -88.094652)